April 30, 1985 Game 245: Padres (10-8) at Pirates (9-8)

This one of the most bizarre games that I have ever witnessed in baseball.  It is something that will not show up in the boxscore and this may not be the usual write up that I usually give you.  Chuck Tanner will start Rick Rhoden who will be the victim off this bizarre event. Lamarr Hoyt of the Padres will be the benefactor.

Rhoden had a no-hitter through 5 innings and leading off the 6th Tim Flannery singles but Rhoden get the next three batters with no problem. In the 7th is where this game takes it's twist.  Gwynn singles, Kennedy singles with 1-out. Nettles singles scoring Gwynn.  McReynolds walks, Flannery singles and Kennedy scores. Templeton singles scoring Nettles and McReynolds and that is all for Rhoden.  Gwynn singles scoring Templeton.  Garvey then steps and blasts a 3 run homer his 2nd to make it 9-0.

That would be all the scoring in this game.  In all my years I never saw a game where a pitcher was so dominant, then not be able to get anyone out.  Rhoden would end up being charged with 6 runs.  After the game Rhoden was flabbergasted in the locker room.  "I don't even know what to say about this game, I felt great then all off a sudden I couldn't get any of my pitches to work."

The Final Score 9-0 Padres